It's time for another challenge at The Card Concept.
Today's challenge is: Colors of Fall
Everyone is welcome to play along using the colors, the theme,
textures, items, or just anything from the picture as your starting point.
I was inspired by the theme to create this autumn mixed media card.
I love up-cycling cereal or cracker boxes into weathered wood backgrounds and this time I added a weathered lantern.
Here's how I make the backgrounds:
- Trim a thin piece of cardboard to size (use the reverse side if you're up-cycling a cereal box)
- Score some lines (you choose how wide - mine were 1/2 inch on this card)
- Paint your cardboard with white school glue
- While still tacky, paint a thin layer of your main paint color over top the glue (I mixed blue and gray together on this card.)
- Heat set or allow to air dry (if you did it right,cracks will appear)
- Add an accent color or two and heat set again
- Re-score your lines
- Sand portions of your finished piece to give it a weathered look
For the lantern:
- Die cut the lantern from cardboard
- Using a dry brush, swipe some white paint and heat set
- Add some walnut stain distress oxide in the bare spots.
- Repeat till your satisfied with the look
- Sand in spots to create a more weathered look
The bird and leaves were cut from mixed media paper and inked with the distress inks listed below.
Supplies and Tools:
- Fall Foliage Dies (Sizzix - Tim Holtz)
- Feathered Friends (Sizzix - Tim Holtz)
- Christmas Lantern (Jeanine's Art)
- Cardboard from cereal box
- Seam Binding
- These colors of Acrylic Paint:
- Blue, Gray, White
- These colors of Distress Ink (Ranger):
- Barn Red, Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw, Uncharted Mariner, Prize Ribbon, Vintage Photo
I love everything about this gorgeous card!! You make gorgeous cards! I am a big fan!!ReplyDelete
You do such a beautiful job with your wood backgrounds, love how it looks on your lantern too, I love the bow to top it off and love your leaves behind the sweet bird, another lovely creation!ReplyDelete
OH WOW ... this is just AMAZING! (no surprise there! lol) LOVE how you've done your background panel (very clever technique) and your coloring of the bird/leaves is AMAZING! FABULOUS overall design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Four Seasons Challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back again soon.ReplyDelete
FOUR SEASONS CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
P.S. Just a friendly reminder that our new STENCIL FUN CHALLENGE is open and ready to see your stenciled creations. Hope you’ll come join in the fun!
Esther, this is just gorgeous!! Your background panel technique is one I am gonna have to try!! Way to go shopping your stash!! Thanks for playing along with our “leaf me alone” challenge (#SOS480) over at SOS!!ReplyDelete
What a beautiful bird. I love those shades of blue and the rustic wood look behind. I also love it when I see unusual colour combos. Thanks for Shopping your Stash with us this time.ReplyDelete
This is absolutely stunning! Thank you for the inspiration!ReplyDelete
Your card is so pretty! I especially love the blue wood background. Thank you for joining our MMM Challenge.ReplyDelete
Wow, this is beautiful! Thank you for playing along at MMMChallenge.ReplyDelete
See you soon!
Beautiful card. I love the colors and the bird is awesome die and just a stunning card. Thanks for sharing over at Make My Monday.ReplyDelete
I love to recycle items too. The lantern is amazing and the colors just perfect. Thank you for sharing with us at Use Your StuffReplyDelete
love the rich blues with those vibrant autumn hues ... so glad you joined our *leaf me alone* challenge at Shopping Our Stash.ReplyDelete
What a wonderful creation! Thanks for explaining the process - so clever! I love the colours and the distressed details:)ReplyDelete
Love this card, beautiful colours and the woodgrain background is greatReplyDelete
Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday Challenge
This is real pretty, Esther. Thanks for sharing with us at The Four Seasons Challenge.ReplyDelete