No one goes through life without facing reverses, difficulties, hard times, and maybe even a crisis or two. For the Christian it's a good time to remind ourselves that this world is NOT our final home, and we're not supposed to be living solely for the here and now. I've come to realize that adversity is a revealer of what's really inside a person. Those who are grumblers, complainers, and protesters simply do it louder so more people can hear, while others quietly get busy finding ways to improvise, be flexible, and reach out to other people who are hurting. Of the two, only the second bears any real and lasting fruit of any worth, and it's the group I want to be a part of.
In truth, grumbling and complaining is saying that God doesn't know best, but we do. Often it's our way of saying we want Him to fit into OUR plans rather than the other way around. Grumbling is challenging God's wisdom, grace, and love. It's trying God's patience (just read the account of the Israelite's in the wilderness!) I Timothy 6:6-8 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." I wonder, do we REALLY live that way?
Listen to how Eugene Peterson paraphrases some of the beatitudes:
- “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule."
- “You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you."
- “You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for."
- “You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family."
Adversity comes to everyone, but you get to choose how you'll view it and what you're reaction will be to it.
Supplies and Tools:
- 100 Days of Grace and Gratitude Devotional Journal (affiliate link)
- Typewriter Text Background (Sweet n Sassy Affiliate Link)
- Outdoor Fun Stamp Set (Fiskars)
- Project Life Cards (Becky Higgins)
- Auburn Lane Ephemera (Pink Paislee)
- Prismacolor Pencils
- Washi Tape