I'm featuring another $2 tote bag make-over. I found this teapot/teacup material at a thrift store quite a while back, and paid something like $1 for a yard of it.
As you can see I added a small panel to the front of the bag using the teacup material and then added a shabby ruffle to the top of the bag.
I used this fast and easy idea for gathering my ruffle - I doubt I'll ever use the old way again!
For this little "tag" I cut one of the teacups out, added some batting behind it, and used the zig-zag stitch to adhere it to a white piece of material. After finishing I cut the whole thing out and tied it on the handle with a ribbon.
I also made a liner for the tote using the tea-cup material. You can see I made a few pockets and used a magnetic snap for the closure.
NOTE: These pre-made tote bags aren't the easiest to sew things onto the front or near the bottom - don't try this on a day you're lacking patience! (smile)