Our culture is full of self-love mantras like "Believe in Yourself" --- "Do what's best for YOU!" --- "Be your own person" --- "Focus on You!" etc. Even Christians get caught up in the "look out for #1" movement sometimes. In I Peter 5:8 we find a different message, "All of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another," and in Philippians 2:3 we read, "...in humility consider others as more important than yourselves." The wording of that first verse ("clothe yourselves") let's us know that humility isn't a feeling or personality trait that some have and others don't. Rather, humility is an attitude of the heart that we must purposefully cultivate, but that's hard to do when we entertain exalted opinions about ourselves and our own importance.
Humility doesn't mean that we hate ourselves or go around with a fake humility undervaluing ourselves and not accepting compliments. No, I think the answer for pride is to change our focus from us to God. Remember He's the one who made you, gave you the talents and abilities you possess, and it's by his grace that you are sustained every day. Philip Yancey says, "Whatever makes us feel superior to other people, whatever tempts us to convey a sense of superiority, that is the gravity of our sinful nature, not grace."
- recognize their need for God's help on a daily basis
- come to God with a repentant heart continually
- look for ways to serve others rather than being served
- find ways to give to others rather than always having their hand out
- come under authority instead of always having to be in charge
- are flexible with plans and don't insist on everyone fitting into their schedule
- aren't afraid to say, "I'm sorry, I was wrong"
I used some Stamplorations dies to decorate this layout. On the reverse side of my wood notebook page I included this quote from Alistair Begg, "Humility is the earth in which all the graces of Christian godliness grow."
Supplies and Tools:
- 100 Days of Grace and Gratitude Devotional Journal (affiliate link)
- Be Encouraged Stamp Set (Sweet n Sassy Stamps (affiliate link)
- Trendy Spring Blooms Dies (Cutplorations)
- Art Edges Dies (Cutplorations)
- Washi Tape
- Doily Die (Sizzix - Tim Holtz)
- Botanical Ephemera (Tim Holtz)
- Gel Pens
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Such a gorgeous job you have done on your page. I love your list of a humble Christian, something I strive for every day.
Post a Comment