I was inspired by the theme to create this autumn mixed media card.
I love up-cycling cereal or cracker boxes into weathered wood backgrounds and this time I added a weathered lantern.
Here's how I make the backgrounds:
- Trim a thin piece of cardboard to size (use the reverse side if you're up-cycling a cereal box)
- Score some lines (you choose how wide - mine were 1/2 inch on this card)
- Paint your cardboard with white school glue
- While still tacky, paint a thin layer of your main paint color over top the glue (I mixed blue and gray together on this card.)
- Heat set or allow to air dry (if you did it right,cracks will appear)
- Add an accent color or two and heat set again
- Re-score your lines
- Sand portions of your finished piece to give it a weathered look
For the lantern:
- Die cut the lantern from cardboard
- Using a dry brush, swipe some white paint and heat set
- Add some walnut stain distress oxide in the bare spots.
- Repeat till your satisfied with the look
- Sand in spots to create a more weathered look
The bird and leaves were cut from mixed media paper and inked with the distress inks listed below.
Supplies and Tools:
- Fall Foliage Dies (Sizzix - Tim Holtz)
- Feathered Friends (Sizzix - Tim Holtz)
- Christmas Lantern (Jeanine's Art)
- Cardboard from cereal box
- Seam Binding
- These colors of Acrylic Paint:
- Blue, Gray, White
- These colors of Distress Ink (Ranger):
- Barn Red, Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw, Uncharted Mariner, Prize Ribbon, Vintage Photo